|Registration Deadline:||October 30, 2011 over 11 years ago|
|To apply for Funding you must register by:||July 30, 2011 over 11 years ago|
Show List of Speakers
- Simon Brendle (Stanford University)
- Jeff Cheeger (New York University, Courant Institute)
- Bennett Chow (University of California, San Diego)
- Jeanne Clelland (University of Colorado)
- Tobias Colding (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Michael Eastwood (Australian National University)
- Joel Fine (Université Libre de Bruxelles)
- Patrick Foulon (Centre International de Recontres Mathématiques (CIRM), Luminy)
- Stefan Friedl
- Kenji Fukaya (Kyoto Sangyo University)
- Mark Gross (University of Cambridge)
- Marco Gualtieri
- Nigel Hitchin
- Toshiyuki Kobayashi
- Clara Löh (Universität Regensburg)
- Fernando Marques
- Dusa McDuff (Barnard College)
- Vincent Minerbe
- Aaron Naber (Northwestern University)
- Frank Pacard
- Rahul Pandharipande (ETH Zurich)
- Matthias Schwarz
- Jim Simons (Simons Foundation)
- Jian Song
- Jeffrey Streets (University of California, Irvine)
- Song Sun (University of California, Berkeley)
- Gang Tian (Princeton University)
- Valentino Tosatti (New York University, Courant Institute)
- Katrin Wendland
The Mathematical Sciences Research Institute (MSRI), in conjunction with the Chern Institute of Mathematics (CIM) in Tianjin, China, celebrates the centennial of the birth of Shiing-Shen Chern, one of the greatest geometers of the 20th century and MSRI's co-founder. In commemoration of Chern's work, MSRI and CIM will hold a two-week international mathematics conference. During the first week, October 24 to 28, 2011, the conference will take place at CIM in Tianjin.
During the second week, October 30 – November 4, 2011, the conference will take place at MSRI in Berkeley, CA. The opening reception on Sunday, October 30 will include the unveiling of a commissioned statue of Chern, and will feature the world premiere of the film about his life, “Taking the Long View: The Life of Shiing-Shen Chern”.
The auditorium at MSRI can seat about 140 participants. We advise early registration.
Academic Committee Chairs: Phillip Griffiths and Wentsun Wu
Academic Committee Members
List of topics (with chair of committee)
More Information about the Conference
Taking the Long View: The Life of Shiing-Shen Chern (biographical film)
The Chern Medal
Download the poster for the Conference
Further details and contact information for the first week can be accessed on the CIM workshop homepage.
For information about hotel options in the Berkeley area, please click here: Accommodations
To order a copy of Taking the Long View, please click the link and complete the order form here.
To apply for funding, you must register by the funding application deadline displayed above.
Students, recent Ph.D.'s, women, and members of underrepresented minorities are particularly encouraged to apply. Funding awards are typically made 6 weeks before the workshop begins. Requests received after the funding deadline are considered only if additional funds become available.
Show Directions to Venue
Oct 30, 2011
Oct 31, 2011
Nov 01, 2011
Nov 02, 2011
Nov 03, 2011
Nov 04, 2011